Saturday, November 6, 2010

Healthy vs Unhealthy

I am aware that I may not eat/make the healthiest food around. If I have to choose between something tasting good, and something being healthy...well, life is too short for light mayonnaise.

This isn't to say that I don't try to make some food a bit healthier, or at the very least insert some veggies. But when all is said and done, and I've made something that I think is actually worth eating--can I really call it healthy anymore?

Case Studies: Healthy or Not Healthy?

Case #1: Eggplant Parmesan with Spaghetti

  For Healthy: Aside from containing plenty of vitamins and minerals, eggplants are also frequently piled onto the antioxidant-rich, new age brain food band wagon. Also, complex carbs like pasta are good to consume 30 minutes before a work out---so this meal LEADS to healthy activity.

For Unhealthy: Lots of cheese and frying involved. Technically, I have made these by baking the eggplant instead of frying...I just like it better when it's fried. Big surprise.

Case #2: Tofu Peanut Stir Fry


For Healthy: Packed with veggies, including snow peas, red pepper, carrots onion and of course, tofu! What's even better, it tastes really good. This is what I call my "tofu conversion" dish. I've made this for a number of tofu haters who even admitted that it tastes great. So not only is this healthy---it's gateway healthy.

For Unhealthy: Once again, to get this to be so tasty, I bread the tofu with a tasty breading and spice blend, then fry the crap out of them. The peanut sauce on this is amazing ( House of Tsang's Bangkok Padang Peanut Sauce) but I would have to say that the breading and frying is what makes this dish. It makes the tofu taste great, without attempting to make it taste like anything else. I think that's what I love the most about this dish; its delicious tofu, not tofu pretending to be bacon or turkey and failing.

Case #3: Cheetahs


For Healthy: This is one of those foods that never really sounded appetizing to me until someone gave them an adorable name. Yam fries, sprayed with canola, liberally sprinkled with cumin and salt, and baked until spotted (like a cheetah!), then dipped in ketchup and BBQ sauce. More nutrients than potatoes, and this method of cooking is far healthier than traditional frying.


For Unhealthy: How much ketchup is too much ketchup to make a yam palatable? Is it really healthy to eat that many yams? Yes, I ate all of these myself.

What are your favorite meals of possibly questionable healthfulness?

No comments:

Post a Comment